jump to navigation

Ahhh Long Weekends May 21, 2008

Posted by Dmitri in Uncategorized.
trackback

So this Victoria Day long weekend I went camping with my gf up to Barry’s Bay (Algonquin Park area). We were plagued by pretty bad weather all weekend – cold, windy, and rainy. On Sunday, it started raining at 8pm, and didn’t stop until 6am Monday morning, at which point it actually snowed for a good hour or so. Ironically enough, on Monday, the day we had leave, the weather turned out to be quite good. Not being able to enjoy the actual camping for pretty much the entire weekend, we wanted to make the most out of Monday, so we stayed as long as we could. Turns out we stayed a little too long, as we found out after we packed up that the gas stations in the area all closed, and I didn’t have enough gas to get us close enough to civilization where they have 24h gas stations. So we were forced to stay another night, and left for Toronto promptly at 7am. The point of all this is there wasn’t much opportunity to get any work done over the weekend.

It’s not all bad though. I posted a thread in the GWT Google Group explaining my problem, and got some replies. The thread can be found here. So I spent my time trying to run the code in hosted mode, to see if the problem persists. This was a challenge in itself as I abandoned testing our extension in hosted mode when we first ran into the problems with SOP. SOP prevented me from actually being able to test up to the point where the RPC call was made, so I had to abstract away just the RPC call so I could test it in hosted mode separately.

Of course, then GWT complained about all the XUL-specific code that was now present in the project, so I had to figure out how to force it to ignore the non-GWT-compliant code.

Eventually, I was able to call the login() RPC method from hosted mode. The toAppend error didn’t appear, and the call actually executed, although the onFailure() callback function was called, so something is still not right. This is the error I got back:
[TRACE] The development shell servlet received a request for 'main' in module 'com.slashid.web.SlashIDLogin'
[WARN] Resource not found: main
[INFO] com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.InvocationException: Cannot find resource 'main' in the public path of module 'com.slashid.web.SlashIDLogin'

I asked around, and found out that this may be because I didn’t set the <servlet> tag in the *.gwt.xml file. It’s explained more here: http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/documentation/com.google.gwt.doc.DeveloperGuide.Fundamentals.html#ModuleXml

The problem I think, is that the servlet itself is/will be remote from where it will be called. But I have to learn how the servlet mechanism works before I can figure this all out, and that is my current task.

Advertisements

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: